Re: Sendmail or Qmail ? ..

Hi,

First thanks to all who have replied.
We're all busy so I do appreciate the time taken
to tap out a reply message.

It's very interesting and in some ways what I expected.
There is no right or wrong.
Just like programing there is many ways to the top of the mountain.

So for me it's come down to a choice of three.
a) Sendmail
b) Qmail
c) Postfix.

Well Qmail is out I think - for Religous reasons.

See I'm Religous - that's why I use and love Debian ;-)

As for Sendmail, well some say it's full of holes but as
Eric has noted those bugs get ironed out pronto and apt
sorts the rest out ( though I like to compile from source ).
Others say it's hard to understand or configure. That's
true but if you've read the Sendmail 'Bat' book, which I have,
then it's not that complicated at all ( well actually the 200
pages of regular expression's was kinda complicated ).

I've looked into Postfix briefly before and will re-examine it.

My goal is to maximize security. Postfix is well known to be very
secure and stable, some would say it's kinda like an improved Sendmail.

So it looks like a choice between two for me: Sendmail or Postfix.

I think I'm going to sleep on this one.

Again many thanks for your valuable time.
Cheers
Rudi.