Re: Servers with X.

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 09:28, Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> Is it bad practise to use X on your Debian ISP/Hosting machines ?
> Here I have 4 boxes all without X. I've always been of the impression
> X on servers was not good.

It's not a terrible thing to do, unless you forget to correctly firewall
your machines. :-)

> I have one box, a database server - PostgreSQL, which has a cool TCL
> monitoring app.
> I'm interested in using. This GUI app. monitors server load and running
> queries etc.
> I'll need to install X in order to use it - which I'm not sure is such a
> good idea.

You don't need to install an X server on the local machine to use it. If
you install the tcl app, and ssh to the box using X forwarding (-X), you
can display the program on your own local X server.

[ desktop ]   -->   [ firewall ]   -->   [ db-server ]
 X server     ssh                  ssh    no X server

Fully encrypted, secure access to X software on your db-server, without
running (or even having) a full X server on the machine. :-)

- Jeff

--
 Systems Administrator
 Flow Communications