Re: Software for WLAN Hotspot

yes, the solution is plausible this way, but i do think the nocatauth
ppl have some road ahead for this problem (perl based wifi
authentication gateway).

I mean, there are som many ways to do this. For example, the way they
are doing it at airports. You go and buy a little card, fire up the wifi
card, try and browse to debian.org. They have a redirect to a site in
the gateway that asks for your little key. You give the key, then they
let you out. Obviously, if the machine hit you, you have its key and ip
address which you can autmatically make permanent in the dhcp server.
So, for the time of the sesssion you have a positive key-ip pair that
identifies a session.

Im shure anyone here can think of a 100 ways to do this in a 1000
languages times 4 different webserving/proxy/firewall solutions.

No cat auth sort of works this way, except it requieres  the users to
keep a web window open to not keep the time of the session. I think its
a poor approach but its obvious that it wouldnt need to much klinking
arround to approach this with crons and a a database.

So, my recomendation is, before rolling your own, evaluate nocat. It
looks easyer to start there and modify than starting all over again with
a less numerous community.