SMTP relay with UW-IMAP and Exim

I'm a bit of a newbie and am trying to configure my new system such that I
can IMAP into my mail on my server from my laptop from different networks
(home, work, etc) and use my host as a SMTP relay. I want to authorize
either via SSL or TLS and not have to establish any specific hosts or
networks that my server will relay. I'd probably rather do this via SSL so
that I can configure another client on the fly without having to set up
another client cert. What are the specific configurations that I need
make. Is this a UW IMAP or Exim thing, or both? What's easiest to
configure, SSL or TLS?

My environment contains:
Exim 3.36-6
UW-IMAP 6:2003debian