Re: large disk datas and backup

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:11:54AM +0200, François Chenais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to installed 2 servers with oracle and about 100 Go of disk.
> I wonder which configuration I need to make them working.
>
>  - DISK
>    - RAID1 soft
>    - RAID1 hard : which card/disk ?
>    - RAID4 hard : which card/disk ?

Uh, why RAID4 ? Consider RAID5.

The main questions are rather :
- what kind of performances and reliability do you want ?
- what's your budget ?

You have another choice to make ATA or SCSI ?

Soft RAID is OK performance-wise (in RAID1), but you probably won't
want to do hotswap on it. The choice between RAID1 and RAID5 depends
on the number of drives you plan to have.

But for 100Gb, you can either go for 2x160 Gb drives, RAID1, or
something like 3x80 Gb in RAID5. RAID1 is usually safer, so I'd go for
RAID1 in that case.

If you go the ATA way, 3ware boards are the way to go. They now have
SATA ones, which seem pretty nice.

On the SCSI hand, look for Mylex or Adaptec.

>  - Processor

Again, it's a matter of performance level required against
budget. From a single 2 GHz AMD to dual 3 GHz Xeons, there is a wide
gap, both performance and price-wise !

>  - Is there any system do backup oracle surely ?

Veritax, Legato... I'm not an expert, though. Your best bet is
probably to ask Oracle.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive