Re: Ethernet on a Compaq Proliant DL360 G3

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 17:53, Tomàs Núñez Lirola wrote:

> I can read in the specifications that the card  is "Dual, NC7781 PCI-X Gigabit
> 10/100/1000", but I've not found anything like this in the kernel. A nearby
> machine (also a dl360 g3) has RH installed, and it use Tigon3 driver (tg3),
> and work properly. I tried the same kernel module, but altough it loads up
> without any error (modprobe tg3, or adding it to /etc/modules), and it lets
> me configure the card (ifconfig goes ok), after that I can not ping any host
> (network is not accesible).
> I mean, everything seems to be ok, but there is no result.
>
> Has everyone installed Debian on a Compaq Proliant DL360 G3? What ethernet
> card did you configure?

Not DL360G3 but a couple DL380G3 which are almost identical, just a
little bit bigger due to their 6 drive-bays instead of 2. I assume the
Ethernet chipset is exactly the same as on a DL360G3.

The tg3 driver worked just fine for me right out-of-the-box without any
problems.

Stupid question: Did you maybe confuse the interfaces?

Try to listen with 'tcpdump' on one interface and see if there are ANY
packets incoming. Even with wrong IP-addresses or routing you should see
traffic from others hosts on the same network (at least their
broadcasts)...

best regards,
  Markus
--
Markus Oswald <moswald@iirc.at>  \ Unix and Network Administration
Graz, AUSTRIA                     \ High Availability / Cluster