Re: Weird Reboots

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 01:09:29AM -0500, Rod Rodolico wrote:
> I don't understand what is going on. My machine has rebooted 5 times
> between 10:00 and 18:00. I looked in syslog and the line contains 109 at
> signs (@).

That could be somebody or something trying to use a buffer overflow
attack. That kind of attack often crashes the target machine and leaves
signs like long lines in syslog. The fact that the machine rebooted so
many times could be a sign that the exploit didn't work and the attacker
was not able to brake in but I would not trust on that.

On the other side, it could be a hardware problem too, memory being the
principal suspect.

Blu.