mysqld listening to the network interface

I have another mysql question for ya.  I remember setting up mysqld in
slink and it was a breeze to get it listening on the network.

I figured the mysqld in woody would be just as easy.  Unfortunately, a
netstat -a shows no sign of mysqld (even tho I verified it's running)
and I can't for the life of me figure out where the config is to enable
this.  All the docs indicate how to *disable* the network daemon, not
enable.

Is the woody default to *not* listen on the network?  Is there a way to
change this (has to be...)

thanks for any ideas you may have.

Dave
--