Re: Migrating to a Compaq Proliant DL360G3

Hi,

I'm hostmaster for a provider in Swizerland (CH - ~20000 customers),
and a use debian 3.0/kernel 2.4.18 or 2.4.21 on Proliant DL380 ByPIII800Mhz with RAID controler cpqarray SMART2 (Driver v. 2.4.5).

No problem for install, on the install boot kernel -> choise expert mode -> and select the kernel "fs2.4".

I use  ~10 of other Proliant 1800, DL370 / Compaq servers and I don't have problem with RAID.

Debian for a Internet server in the best... my chose or Red-Hat for compatibility and support.

Yes... using Debian...is more simple for the system/security maintenance.

Sorry for my english...

Mat

On Tue, 27 May 2003 at 14:10:22 +0200, Tom?s Nú?ez Lirola wrote:
> Hi
> I must migrate my servers to Compaq Proliant DL360G3 machines. We're looking
> several IDCs, and all of them say "Only support for RedHat, SuSE and

Quite a frequent disclaimer...

> Caldera". I want to use Debian (I don't like very much SuSE, I've not used
> neither Red Hat nor Caldera, and it's hard to change distro when you're happy
> with the one you have), but when I comment this point to the salesman, he
> says a lot of "It's difficult" "It's not supported" and things like that.
> Even I've found on a budget "We don't take any responsibility on the
> installation, functionality or support in case you decide to install Debian".

Sure, they must say such things because officially they don't support
Debian.

> In this situation, my boss is evaluating the convenience of installing Debian
> on the servers, and he says he likes Red Hat.
>
> I've looked at Compaq website and I have not found any reference to Debian.
> As there are RAID controllers and specific server hardware that I don't know
> so far (I've never used hardware RAID at home ;P), I'm afraid of the
> difficulty I can find installing Debian in spite of everybody telling me to
> install Red Hat.

Don't listen to them :-) .

> Anyway... Does anybody have any experience with this machine (or similar) and
> Debian? Is there any website where I can take a look on the compatibility of
> this machine (or similar) and Debian?
>
> Do you recommend me to be stubborn and install Debian anyway?

Yes! :-) .

First of all, request the detailed list of hardware from salesman
(especially the type of RAID array controller). Then you will be able to
look in the Net whether it's possible to install Debian on it.
The most probable answer is "yes".

Even some time ago I managed to install Debian on a server which wasn't
officially supporting Debian (a different Proliant: ML570). Indeed, the
main problem was a RAID array controller. But in newer kernels it's
easier, as far as I know. I don't know what RAID controller DL360G3
has got so you must get this information from the salesman.

On other hardware: that's possible that some additional features will
not be usable with Debian (some remote management cards etc., which
require additional software in Redhat's RPMs). I don't know if DL360G3
has got something like that. But that's a minor inconvenience in my
opinion.

So, now when the decision for buying these Proliants DL360G3 has been
made, you've got nothing to lose anyway. In the worst case you can
always revert to Redhat, so why not try Debian?... :-) .
And I think that installing Debian on them is possible. First get the
details about RAID controller, as I've just written.

Good luck!
--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.