Re: large files

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:43 am, David Bishop wrote:
> I have a user that really like to create files.  Then, they don't clean
> them up.  We have already put a quota* on them, but unfortunetly, their
> directory is so large and convaluted, that they can't even figure out where
> all the disk space has gone.  Is there a sane way to generate a report
> showing the disk usage from a certain point on down, sorted by size?  Heres
> kinda what I mean:  for a standard user, I would just run
> 'du /u/foo | sort -n | tail -20', and tell them to clean up whatever is
> there. However, I've let a du | sort -n run on this directory for over four
> hours, before giving up in disgust.  It is almost 100Gigs of files, with at
> least four or five directories that have 20K to 30K+ files each (plus
> hundreds of other subdirs).  *And*, it's on a filer, so there are .snapshot
> directories that du thinks it has to plow through, quintupling the amount
> of work.   I'd also like to make this into a weekly report, so that they
> can make it part of their Friday routine (let's go delete 10 gigs of data!
> Woohoo!).
>
> Ideas?  Other than killing them, of course, no matter how tempting that
> is...
>
> *100Gigs!

I'd play with the --max-depth settings on du, this will allow you to limit the
output a bit, however it will still have to run over the entire directory
tree to count it. Failing that, if you suspect it's some really big files
taking up the room then a find with -size +1000k or similar might be your
friend.

GPG : http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key