Re: which dns server to use ?

Oliver Hitz wrote:

> On 08 Apr 2003, Thomas Lamy wrote:
> > I recently switched to mydns (http://mydns.bboy.net/). As
> all data is stored
> > in a mysql (or pgsql) backend, it's easy to edit
> zones/resource records. And
>
> While I see that it may be useful to have zone data in an sql
> backend, I don't like the idea of plugging a mission-critical
> service such as a dns server directly to an sql database. A dns
> server has to be as simple as possible, with as few dependencies as
> possible. Serving zone data directly from an sql database increases
> the complexity of your system and adds new points of failure, what
> is especially undesirable in the case of a dns server.

Your are right (in part); I had the same concerns, and not only with DNS.
Most of our services depend on MySQL right now: customer-db, webserver
config, mail users, dns records, radius db.

I did take some counter-measures again SPOF's:
- Three db-servers (2 in active-active replication, and a third running from
the last daily db export)
- the mysql connection procedure in mission critical programs (mydns, snmp
gatherer) is hacked to try both main servers in r/w mode, and then the third
one in r/o mode.

I'm also prepared to build a tretetary dns based on whatever software, with
zone files generated from the database, if our current doesn't prove to be
stable. But it has worked for months now w/o a problem.

Thomas