Privacy in virtual hosting environment

Hi,

Since I'm currently setting up my first shared hosting environment in a few
years I'm wondering how to adequately address privacy issues.

I plan to provide python (with and without mod_python), perl (perhaps just
CGI) as well as PHP support.  Is there any way to prevent people from
sourcing things above their document root?  My main concern is db passwords
stored in config files or scripts.

I think with apache2 and the mpm that allows different users for different
virtual hosts it should be possible but since apache2 isn't in woody I don't
like the idea too much.

My other thoughts are to run multiple instances of apache wth different uids,
an alternative might be to run user mode linux or other virtual environment.
Both of these options seem quite resource intensive though and multiple
apaches would require an IP for every site (I think).

What are you guys using?

Thanks,
--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                                 Debian GNU/Linux