Re: dell 1650 perc3/di raid 5 18k rpm performance

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 04:54, Doug Griswold wrote:
> Hey guys I am having a small performance problem with a dell 1650 with
> the perc3/di raid 5 card.  I had red hat on this box and was getting
> 70-75Mb/s when testing with hdparm -tT /dev/sda.  Now using Debian I am
> getting 40-50Mb/s.  I am using the 2.4.19-ac4 kernel and aacraid module.
>  I'm sure it is a tuning issue on my part but can't seem to figure it
> out.  If any of you have any experience with this controller I would
> appreciate the help.

Try one of the following:

redhat is known for using kernels that are 'something' different then
the base kernel from kernel.org -- what you could do is download the
kernel-source rpm from redhat and see/look for driver changes in opposit
of the version used in the Debian kernel.

update the hardware of your raid adapter... i've had some performance
problems with the base 'bios' levels -- when i updated the adapter and
device eeproms all the performamce problems were gone. (drivers somtimes
assume you have a certain revision of the hardware driver...)

--
JJ van Gorkum                             Knowledge Zone
If UNIX isn't the solution, you've got the wrong problem.