dell 1650 perc3/di raid 5 18k rpm performance

Hey guys I am having a small performance problem with a dell 1650 with
the perc3/di raid 5 card.  I had red hat on this box and was getting
70-75Mb/s when testing with hdparm -tT /dev/sda.  Now using Debian I am
getting 40-50Mb/s.  I am using the 2.4.19-ac4 kernel and aacraid module.
 I'm sure it is a tuning issue on my part but can't seem to figure it
out.  If any of you have any experience with this controller I would
appreciate the help.