Re: Routing with Linux

Hello,

Am 17:20 2003-03-05 +0100 hat Burner geschrieben:

>I've read some iptables and iproute2 howtos, but i realy do not know where
>begin, i dont even know if the hardware will be sufficient. P3/800 128Mb ram
>and two good NIC's.

Hmmm, do you like to root an OC3 with heavy traffic ???

I have a client with a 34 MBit and the Roter is an old K5 166 with
32 MByte of memory... The monthly middle is arround 1.3 MByte/Second

>We don't need any advanced routing like bandwith balancing etc. I just need
>to block most ports from public access and allow the servers (win) to update
>from the internet.

Can be done with a 486/100 and LRP <http://www.linuxrouter.org>
which is based on Debian.

>Maybe i should configure the linux router with all the external IP's on one
>NIC, and give the protected servers local IP addresses. then NAT the public
>IP/ports to the servers using iptables, this is a way to do it, but is it i
>good way?

I have done this before, blocked all ports and have done Portforwarding
to the Servers. Never I have had problems...

>I would be happy to recive any hints from someone who has done anything like
>this before.
>
>//Burner

Michelle