Re: Qmail and bounces

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:19:27AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:

> I have a mail server running a cluster of back-end stores (because no single
> server can handle the load) and Qmail-ldap for the front-end to send the
> message to the appropriate back-end machine.
>
> The problem is that Qmail is accepting messages for non-existant destinations
> (IE mail for user@mydomain.com when there is not account named "user" in the
> LDAP directory).  Ideally Qmail would reject the message with a SMTP 550
> code.  However then Qmail will repeatedly try to deliver the message
> "locally" to the back-end machine but aborts every time because it's not in
> the LDAP (one message had 17 delivery attempts).
>
> Any suggestions for what to do about this?

Even if the LDAP backend is implemented as a delivery agent, it should
be able to generate bounces.

Qmail interprets error code 100 as a permanent error, and 111 as a
temporary error. If qmail-ldap generates a 111 if the user is not found
in LDAP, I guess that's what should be fixed...

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info