Re: hard- or software-raid?

There is perhaps one extra thing hardware RAID will give you. When it comes to hardware failures a Hardware RAID card will almost always detect a failed (or failing) drive before any software based system would. In fact I've seen a RAID card detect a failed drive before the HDD manufacturers own Disk Diagnostic software, and they were happy to replace it based on my RAID cards diagnosis.

Dave