Re: Gaming server

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:15:44AM -0500, Todd Charron wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you have any experience running a game server
> under Debian.  Also wondering if you know the CPU/memory/bandwidth
> requirements of such a project.  Thanks,

I have a small Gameserver (only 3 players) running with one or two
Neverwinter Nights Servers, Mangband and occasionally UT.
The hardware is a PII 266, 196 MB Ram, the connection is 1.5 MBit
down- and 192 Kbit upstream. It manages the load great (loadavage
always below 80%).
The same machine also has a Apache, Cyrus and Exim running.

A friend of mine hosts several heavily used CS clanservers. His
hardware isn't a lot better than mine and his biggest asset seems to
be the good connection. His servers accumulate several GB Traffic per
month.

So, I guess it once again comes down to what you plan on doing :)

HTH,

Vinai
--
Secure eMail with gnupg: See http://www.gnupg.org/

Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.