Re: IDE Hard Drive maintenance

On January 6, 2003 10:31 pm, the fabulous Lauchlin Wilkinson wrote:

> I was wondering what most people on the list did when it came to keeping
> tabs on the health of IDE hard drives?  I have a server in  a remote
> location that I fear has one HD that is going flaky. Is there a way of
> doing a bad block scan on a mounted partition safely or am I asking the
> impossible.

I have recently (past 6 months) begun using ide-smart and hddtemp to monitor
health of my IDE drives.  I don't have it on a lot of systems yet so they
have yet to aid me in detecting (hopefully pre-detecting) failures.

I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has successfully used these tools
(or others) for predicting drive failures.

This is from the ide-smart man page:

       ide-smart performs and queries the results of various  non  destructive
       tests on a SMART capable IDE DEVICE.  You must have a BIOS and hardware
       that supports it.

       SMART stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis  and  Reporting  Technology,
       which  provides  near  future  failure  prediction monitoring different
       attributes (listed as Id) of the device.  If a value of a particular Id
       (or  attribute) is under a certain threshold, the device most probabily
       will be about to fail.

This is from the hddtemp man page:

       hddtemp will give you the temperature of your IDE hard drive by reading
       Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T)  informa-
       tion  (on  drives  that  support this feature). Only modern hard drives
       have a temperature sensor. hddtemp does not support  reading  S.M.A.R.T
       information from SCSI drives.

--
Fraser
real sig coming RSN