Re: Perl Module for Shell Accounts

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:28:10AM +0100, Marcin Sochacki wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 04:42:54PM -0500, Gene Grimm wrote:
> > I am trying to script maintenance of our POP3 and FTP accounts, but would
> > prefer a Perl module rather than using calls to shell commands. Thus far I
> > haven't been able to find anything about such a Perl module. Can anyone
> > point me in the right direction?
>
> Debian's adduser is actually written in Perl.
>
> Maintaining traditional Unix accounts, kept in flat files (/etc/passwd)
> is painful. It would be easier if you put your accounts into an SQL
> database or LDAP.

And LDAP or SQL is easier? My initial forays into migrating a system or two
from flat files into LDAP gave me the distinct feeling that LDAP is not yet
ready. The support tools are not yet all there, and the process is still far
from smooth, with much research and tweaking of defaults required.

Much of the HOWTO stuff available on the web has misleading info, and often
walks you through to a setup that works, but which has security flaws. These
documents often have a "this works for me, but I'm not sure why" flavor to
them.

I started a wiki on Debian+LDAP Auth in an attempt to document stuff for
myself and others. Those who know more than me on this topic, please
contribute/correct it. It's available at;

http://wiki.debian.net/LdapAuthentication

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key