Re: Help - just deleted root's crontab - recovery?

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:33:42 -0600
Andy Gardner <andy@navigator.co.nz> wrote:

> Doh.
>
> Typed crontab -r instead of crontab -e
>
> Any way of recovering the file or even getting a partial copy from a
> cache somewhere on the box?

Man, I'm surprised everyone hasn't pounced on this one yet.
Depending on your filesystem...I've had pretty good success using
recover or gtkrecover on ext2 filesystems. YMMV based on how many bits
your hard drive is pushing around...The more activity, the less
chance your data is still intact.
Crontabs live in  /var/spool/cron/crontabs on my box.

You might also scroll back in your xterm and see if you have a copy in
that buffer somewhere, that's saved me a few times...

Good luck.

--
Dustin Douglas