Re: SCSI or IDE

 > For what it's worth, I'm running a 3Ware 6410 card (4 port IDE RAID-5
 with three 60 GB 7200 drives) on our development server, and it works
 flawlessly.  One of the nice features is that it can support email
 notification of array rebuilds and drive issues/failures, so it's
 easy to keep on top of any changes to the drives.

Maybe i should give them a try in a near future? The promise Ultratek
TX8000 can hold 8 disk allthough its not as stable and fast as one
could wish.

3Ware has 2, 4, 8, and 12 disk cards, so pretty much whatever you need.

 Not to mention the good performance you get from ordinary IDE drives.
 A no-brainer to install w/ Debian, and I'll definitely be purchasing
 more of these for our production servers from here on out.  (But this
 time I'll be getting the 7500 cards that support ATA-133 drives --
 should be even faster)

Any benchmarks available? Does anyone have experince with these cards?

3Ware has their own benchmarks, although take them w/ a grain of salt, since they were made by the same company selling the card!

http://www.3ware.com/products/benchmarks.asp

My real world tests below:

# hdparm -T /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.01 seconds =126.73 MB/sec

Remember too, I'm using an old 6410 which doesn't have their fancy RAID5 speedup technology (forgot what they call it), and I'm only using ATA-100 disks. (3 60 GB 7200 Maxtor drives).

cool-
Eric