Re: SCSI or IDE

In fact modern SCSI disks are a little bit faster (the 15000 rpm versions).
But they are much more expensive. We solved the problem with RAID-boxes
from EasyRAID. IDE disks input with hot plugging support and RAID 5 and
a SCSI connector. In the machine there's the corresponding SCSI controller
(maybe not as cheap as an IDE controller but for us the disks make the point
because we need lots of them) and that's it. Peak rate with 12 x WD JB1000
(100 GB, 8 MB Cache, RAID5 -> ~1TB diskspace): about 53 MB/s, average is
at 33-37 MB/s. Fast enough for us (it's a backup-system).

Mermgfurt,
		Udo
--
      Udo Wolter <-> uwp@dicke-aersche.de        |  /"\
  !!! Free Music Video !!! All Linux made !!!    |  \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN