RE: Forced DHCP setup

Hello!

El mié, 30-10-2002 a las 15:59, C. R. Oldham escribió:
> It is possible, in hotels that have broadband in rooms, and on some
> university campuses I've been too they have a DHCP server setup to serve
> addresses from a private block.  On that network there is a webserver
>
> Sorry, I don't know of any opensource packages to do this, but it
> shouldn't be too hard.

Last week I sneeked through and anouncment of an OpenSource
"authentication server", which seems to do just this.  However, I'm not
very helpful, because I cannot remember exactly what was it's name

coming back to the original question:

> Of course, unless you setup your routers to block packets based on MAC
> address this won't prevent someone from "guessing" a valid IP and
> setting it up static.

At UNI we will be using IRM to register MAC/IP/hostnames and use a
script (I think it is some lines of perl) to create the dhcpd.conf and
tinydns-data files for DHCP and DNS.  Of course, iptables rules should
be easy to create (as well as bind zone-files) too.

This way, we just register a new computers MAC, it's user and hostname
an asign it an IP number.  Rest will be pushed into the systems
configuration.

However this does not tie a user to his/her computer...

Best Regards,

	Jorge-León

P.S.: If you ask for the scripts, you'll have to contribute!  They are
just not there by now...