Re: Problem with dlink DSL-Router

Hi Matias,

> ( If I understand you, you are not using pppoe, you are trying to route the
> packets, is it ok? ).

Yes.

> You should have a rule in the output chain that ACCEPT packets to the
> destination ( 0.0.0.0 or what you want ) for the interface eth0.
> In your output chain you only accept packets with output interface eth0 to
> 255.255.255.255 ( broadcast ), to 224.0.0.0 ( multicast ) and to
> 192.168.1.0/24 ( this is why you can ping and manage your dlink ).

Ok, i did this. But it did not work. I forgot that i used ipmasq, too, so i
disabled it. Maybe this interfered, don't know. And i changed the INPUT chain
in the same manner (which may be wrong, because then all the benefits of
packet filtering are gone).

Now the situation is the following:
I can ping the interface itself (the ppp-link held by the dlink) and i can
ping the gateway for this interface (which is already an outside address). I
can ping all the addresses outside - not by their names, but only by their
numerical addresses. So this is now a nameserver problem. The strange part is
that i can't reach those numerical addresses with any browser.

My resolv.conf looks like this:
search mydomain.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.254 (this is the dlink)
nameserver ... (of my provider)
nameserver ... (of my provider)

I read that the resolv.conf does only accept 3 addresses and played around a
bit. But no matter what combination i tried, i can't ping addresses by their
names but only by their numerical addresses. I disabled the internal firewall
and filter of the dlink completely just to make sure that this is not the
problem.

What am i doing wrong?
What's with the hosts,deny or hosts.allow files? Are they the ones i have to
modify?

> That I can't understand is why you have a 0 in the drop packets count, do
> you reset the counters before list the output?

Either i did a reboot or it's simply because i used pppoe without the dlink.

Thanks so far,

	Mac