Re: Backup Web Server

Theres a couple of ways you can do this.

1) round robin dns : 2 servers with their own IP's, each serving up the
website. If one goes down, you still get a 50% success rate.

2) VRRP via keepalived  - http://www.keepalived.org/ : 2 servers, 1 real
floating IP that is bound to the active server. If the active server dies,
the IP's are picked up by the standby server and keeps on going.

3) LVS ( Linux Virtual Server ) http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ : This
is the most involved setup but will also give you the most scalability and
availabilty by creating farms of local servers that the inbound requests
are balanced across. It can also do enhanced checks on the local servers
to make sure that only healthy nodes are answering requests.