Re: SCSI or IDE

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 05:39:53PM -0500, John wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 12:38:56PM -0500, Scott wrote:
> > After some talks with the person who handles the books she has given me
> > the authority to bail on these Netfinity boxes and get something more
> > supported by Debian.  My question is:  with IDE drives as fast as they are
> > now does it really pay to go SCSI?  Are there any benefits besides RAID?
> > I understand fault tolerance, but how about performance?
>
> I have used SCSI and IDE in many levels of the game. I've also used
> filers (Netapp).
[...]
> I've seen (figuring off the top of my head) a 3:1 IDE/SCSI failure rate
> across all drives/servers/systems. I'm not recalling that many failures
> all told. I can actually only recall two SCSI failure, a 2G WD and a 18G
> IBM. I've had multiple Fujitu IDE, WD IDE failures, sometimes with the
> replacement drive failing in the same machine (Grrr)

Fujitsu and WD don't make HDD's, they make paperweights... and cheap
nasty paperweights at that.

Actually, I'm probably being a bit harsh on WD... they do probably make some
HDD's at their paperweight factories, but Fujitsu never have.

If you want reliable IDE's get Quantum (whups... they don't exist anymore),
IBM (whups again... they shut down after they built a paperweight factory in
Hungary?), or Segate... perhaps Maxtor (bought out Quantum didn't they?).

The hard thing with computer gear in general is each generation is a totally
new generation... A manufacturer's drives can turn from good to crap in one
batch, and the reverse. About all you can do is check www.storagereview.com
and solicit for advice each time you go to buy something.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key