Re: DNS servers

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:27, jernej horvat wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 November 2002 23:14, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> > I am successfuly using pdnsd for DNS caching on; a small network (4 hosts
> > + 2 dialins)
>
> Bigger systems can't afford to change or experiment with sw.
>
> OTOH it would also help if clients would have dns cache servers on their
> side. I know that Windows XP has dns cache built in and i think Steve
> Gibson is working for a client for all Windows platforms (www.grc.com).

As applications always seem to cache DNS in one way or another I'm not sure
that a per-workstation cache will help that much.  Applications that only
lookup a few servers (such as email clients) tend to just look them up once
per session.  Applications that do lots of lookups (web log analysis and
Squid) have their own caches.