Re: Bind8 to Bind9

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 03:19:02PM -0500, Peter Billson wrote:
>   I am planning the move from Bind8 to Bind9 on woody and was
>   wondering if anyone has any tips, gotchas or pointers I should know
>   before the move.

bind 9 will use a LOT more memory than bind 8.  at least double or
triple the memory.

i'd advise upgrading to the latest bind 8 instead and configuring it to
run as user/group 'bind' rather than root.

 - install the latest bind 8.3.3 package, which has been patched against
   the recent vulnerability.

 - create a user and group called bind

 - chown -R bind.bind /var/cache/bind/

 - create or edit /etc/default/bind to look like:

   OPTIONS="-u bind -g bind"

 - restart bind with "/etc/init.d/bind restart".

read the documentation in /usr/share/doc/bind before doing this.  there
are some things that bind can't do when running as a non-root user (e.g.
it can't bind to new/dynamic IP addresses.  not a problem on a static ip
server, but requires a bind restart if your link is dialup/dsl/cable/etc
and your IP changes).

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>