Firewalling Webservers?

I have been toying with the idea of putting a firewall between our
border router and our colo/web hosting servers. My goal is to A. Deter
would-be script kiddies and B. make DoS attacks a little less frequent.

However, I see many more problems resulting from this, then benefits
gained. For example, latency, single point of failure, expense, time,
maintenance and probably the biggest headache initial and reoccurring
configuration. But on the other hand if I use a linux solution I can
easily add traffic shapping without a lot of trouble. And that may be
the "golden ticket".

Does anyone have feedback for me? Have you successfully done this? Do
you think it is more problems then it is worth? If you have I am just
curious to what software/hardware you used and would you do it the same
way again if you had to?

Thanks everyone,

Nick Mitchell
Network Engineer
Delaware.Net, Inc.
Mail: nick@delaware.net
Voice:302.736.5515 x17
Web: http://www.delaware.net
ICQ: 31676269
Artificial Intelligence: The Final Frontier