Re: Correcting permissions on files

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:52, Scott St. John wrote:
> Or tar + plain rsh, no need to encrypt all that with ssh. Takes ages.

ssh1 is a faster protocol than ssh2.  Blowfish is a faster encryption than
triple DES (the default).  Use ssh1 and Blowfish instead of ssh2 and triple
DES and you can increase the speed by as much as a factor of 6 (depending on
hardware).  Also transfer gzip compressed data.  Using the -z option of tar
takes better advantage of SMP systems than the -C option of scp, and
compression is a fast operation, if the data compresses reasonably well (EG
email) then the reduction in size (and therefore encryption work) saves
time).

I've written cron jobs to transfer multiple gigabyte files every night...

> Heh, I have been sitting here with Perl and Awk books all morning and it's
> really this simple?  You guys are going to have me off my Windows
> desktop completely if this keeps up :)

That's the aim.

Have you tried out kde 3.1?  A KDE system with some expect scripts and
ssh-agent makes a really good management system for servers.  I used to run
about 40 Solaris servers in such a fashion.  I had setup scripts to do tasks
such as run commands or install packages on all servers at once.