Re: Newbie: Is there a basic Debian-for-ISP HOWTO?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 05:16:33PM -0400, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
> Qmail by default wants to operate by DJB's rules and it tries to
> DJB-ize the remainder of your system.  This much I know and dislike.

that's the major problem with qmail (indeed with all of djb's software).
he is a good programmer, but he has some very peculiar notions about
systems administration (programmers and sysadmins are completely
different beasts).

worse, his software basically forces you to adopt his peculiar notions,
because (to summarise and paraphrase djb's atttitude) "dbj's way is the
One True Way that everyone MUST follow otherwise they are morons and
idiots"

the second major problem with qmail is the license.  the fact that it's
not a free license sucks for ethical reasons, but it also sucks badly
for practical reasons.  qmail has basically stagnated for years.  if you
want a modern, secure mailer with good anti-spam capabilities that
adheres to all relevant actual standards & de-facto standards (not just
those that djb hapens to like) you have to hear about, hunt for, and
download a squillion patches and enhancements, apply, and compile, and
hope that it all works.  i.e.  it's a reversion back to the bad old days
(i.e. pre-linux) where free software was available for the various
commercial  unix clones but getting it running could sometimes be a huge
PITA.

alternatively, just run postfix.  it does everything that qmail does and
more, with a lot less hassle.

craig

ps: i used to use qmail.  i used to use sendmail too.  and smail before
that.  in fact, i've used pretty nearly every open source MTA available
over the years, with several years of experience each with most of them
(and dabbling/experimentation with the rest).  keeping the mail running
smoothly is and always has been a big part of my job....probably always
will be too.

the only MTA i'll use these days is postfix.  none of the others even
begin to compare with it.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.