New Kernel for Server

I just updated the packages on my Potato-based server after the Woody-based
packages became stable over the weekend. The upgrade reported a possible
linking problem with the 2.2.17 kernel that the server is currently running.
I am looking at upgrading to the 2.4.18 kernel but this tells me I have to
set up 'initrd' in LILO. So far, I can't see anything clearly outlining the
steps for creating the initrd image file to loaded. Can anyone point me to a
simple explanation for doing this?