Using mod_auth or auth_ldap via https.

Hi All,

I wish to use auth_ldap or mod_auth on virtual hosts being served out with
https. Note that I am talking about https with regards to Apache serving
out web documents, not ssl with regards to auth_ldap accessing a ldap
server.

I have activated mod_auth and auth_ldap modules. I would prefer to use
auth_ldap, here is the global directive stating which file to use for
access control authentication :

AccessFileName .htaccess

And I also have this for added security :

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</Files>

Access control works perfectly for both modules via http but if I am
using https then there is no prompt for credentials and the page is simply
served out. There are no messages in the error log either. Are there in
issues regarding the use of authentication if serving pages out via https?

I am using Apache 1.3.26, the virtual hosting is done with
mod_vhost_alias. Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards, Fred.