Re: Traffic monitoring/logging question

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 21:00, Robert Waldner wrote:

> On 01 Mar 2002 14:22:43 +1100, Kevin Littlejohn writes:
> >Be aware that on-the-wire counting will give you traffic counts
> >inclusive of packet overhead, whereas counting in squid will give you
> >only the size of the content in question.  Don't do math on these
> >things, as one rather large provider used to do ;)
>
> Why go to trouble with accounting in squid? Just account on the
>  "insode" interfaces, compare with the totals of "outside" and you're
>  set. ipac-ng can do this, only the png-generation is severely broken
>  at the moment (I'm debugging it right now).

If that's all you need, that's fine.  If you need to break down billing
based on "proxy traffic is xc/Mb, other traffic is yc/Mb", then you'll
need to at least document the different counting methodologies -
otherwise, your downstream will want to know what the story is ;)

> >Be aware of media-specific packet wrapping sizes, and be aware of the
> >difference between "the size of the content", and "the size of the
> >content + IP headers".
>
> Just account on the same layer everywhere and you can split the bill
>  from the ISP in the proper %s.

(While I'm being pedantic)  Different physical media have different
packet overheads.  I don't _think_ there's a difference between 10Mbps
and 100Mbps, for instance, but there's definitely a difference between
ethernet and dialup (or aDSL, or what-have-you).

KevinL
--
Internet techie                    Obsidian Consulting Group
Phone: +613 9653 9364                    Fax: +613 9354 2681