Re: Strange problem

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 tps@unslept.com wrote:

> OK, folks. I have a stumper here. An associate has a machine that was
> upgraded to unstable in the last few days. The machine was rebooted today,

In my experience, unstable is "unstable".

> and came up in a very strange state. No users could log in, only root, and
> things like ps, w, and top wouldn't work. I was called, got in via ssh,

Why happens when you runs these commands? (What does "wouldn't
work" mean?)

What do the logs say?

> and finally had enough sense to run 'mount'. It looks like /proc and /
> were exactly the same, which is impossible. I unmounted and remounted

What do you mean that it is impossible to be the same? (Are you saying
that proc was also mounted at / ?)

> /proc by hand, started up the utils that didn't start, checked things out
> the best I could, and rebooted again. Same thing. I've gone through

What do the kernel messages say?

What do the logs say?

What are these utils that didn't start? (Some network services that need
to be correctly setup in /etc/rc*.d/ ?)

> everything I can think of remotely. I can't figure this one out. Has anyone
> else ever seen something like this?

Sometimes when I upgrade from stable to unstable, I have had some packages
not reinstalled and some software didn't start that should have.

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'