Re: Closest to Debian

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:16, Mark Janssen wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:35:43PM +0800, Jason Lim wrote:
> > > Of the Linux distributions supported by Promise (at
> > > http://support.promise.com/Linux/Default.htm), which is "closest" to
> > > Debian. That is, which requires the least modification to get
working
> > > with Debian unstable?
> >
> > Why not just use Debian ??
>
> I think that was his aim.

Exactly. I am running Debian systems, but these companies only provide
binaries for Redhat, Suse, etc., so I was wondering which "other"
distribution is closest/compatible to Debian, so there is a higher chance
the binary will work.

> > Debian can do anything RedHat / Suse can do, but better... :)

I *KNOW* that... thats why I'm using Debian!

> > Driver support is only a kernel issue, never a distro issue, and it's
> > always handy to compile your own kernels, even if you only use
hardware
> > supported directly by the distro kernel.
>
> It appears that in this case the driver is binary-only, so compiling
your own
> kernel is not so handy.

Thats the problem... some of these binaries are linked to various
distro-specific libraries and stuff.