Re: moving mail system from one ISP to another

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:00:45AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Richard Bailey wrote:
>
> > cat /var/spool/mail/userbox|mail -s "forward of your mail"
> > newaddress@newdomain
> >
> > She reported that she got all of her mail as individual messages.
>
> Sounds like she has a broken LDA. (Note that each mbox message starts with
> a "From " line and ends with a blank line; the Local Delivery Agent
> should have properly escaped the "From " lines -- and it should have
> been only one single message.)
>
> If you already have access to the user's mailbox is the same format
> (mbox), then simply copy it over and append the whole file to the new
> mailbox.

Some kind of users changes their provider some times. As that, it
is possible, that you don't have access to copy mailboxes around.

And as users misconfigure their programs, there can be a lot of mails
in the box to copy each for each...

> Or use procmail's formail tool; it can be used to split up the mbox file
> and resend each email.

This solution sounds good - if procmail is installed. We use sendmail
and will use qmail in 2nd part of 2002 - procmail can't be used at the
same time than the others are, I think.

I had this problem several times with my clients, too.

Allmost every mailclient can look at more than one mailbox today. I told my
clients to let the old box installed for a few day and let everybody
sending on this address know, that there is a new adress - like they
do with their letters, when they changes their home.

Some kind of vacation-programms could also be used as solution. I use
this, when somebody quits a workplace to inform that he no longer is
employed there... (For sure: the customer has to pay for it ;-) ).

Hope to help.

Regards, Michael