tweaking samba and windows

Hi.

I'd like to know how (if possible) to 'map' in a 'network drive' a subdirectory in an account's share with samba/windows, for example: H: == \\sambasrvr\account\subdir instead of H: being just \\sambasrvr\account.

Also I'd like to know how to tweak the windows smb cache or whatever it is so that when msword is saving a >10KB file it won't take a little pause in the middle and then continue to write. Sometimes it hangs for more than 20 seconds and it's somewhat annoying, notwithstanding netware 4.11 doesn't 'hang' when writing the same file but writes somewhat faster or at least it seems so.

Any help is appreciated.

José