Re: long email names

> Subject: long email names
>
> I have a customer who wants to host his own email server, and he wants
> to have long email addresses, like <firstname>.<lastname>@domain.com ,
> and map it to a local name that is less than 8 chars. What is the best
> email server to do this kind of mapping?
>
> -chris zubrzycki

Almost any MTA will do here. I myself am using Sendmail at home, and
Courier-mta for the new mailserver I'm building for the office (Where
the long names are the actual (virtual) accounts, and there are no short
(and real unix system) accounts for mail-users.

In sendmail and other mailers you can easily solve this using aliasses.
If courier's features set satisfies what you need I suggest you look
into it. I've been positively surprised by it (though it's still quite
new and 'untested')

Mark Janssen     Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT
E-mail: mark(at)markjanssen.nl / maniac(at)maniac.nl     GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Web: Maniac.nl Unix-God.[Net|Org] MarkJanssen.[com|net|org|nl] SyConOS.[com|nl]