Re: Best way to duplicate HDs

<quote who="Jason Lim">

> Except that I've pointed out already that we're specifically NOT looking
> at a live RAID solution. This is a backup drive that is suppose to be
> synced every 12 hours or 24 hours.

Sorry, but I don't see any benefit to having maximum 12 hour old data when
you could have 0. The hardware solution you mentioned was RAID 1 anyway.
Easiest thing to do is use it, and have both spare drives and spare machines
ready to roll should you need to swap either.

> The idea being that if there is a virus, a cracker, or hardware
> malfunction, then the backup drives can be immediately pulled out and
> inserted into a backup computer, and switch on to provide immediate
> restoration of services (with data up to 12 hours old, but better than
> having up-to-date information that may be corrupted or "cracked" versions
> of programs).

Well, there's your benefit to having old data. Who's to say you're going to
know within 12 hours? This is not a particularly interesting problem, mostly
because you're not curing the disease, you're trying to clean up after
infection.

- Jeff

--
         "The GPL is good. Use it. Don't be silly." - Michael Meeks