Bandwidth configuration

Hi there!

My problem is the following:

I have a dsl connection to the Internet, but it is assimmetric. I am connecting through a woody box. Therefore If someone sends a big mail to someone, the outging
packets are make the line busy.
When this occours, there will not be enough bandwidth for ACK-s.
How can I tell to the linux box that the outgoing small packets have priority against the large smtp packets?
(Nowadays I plan to change to kernel 2.4...)

I have heard from someone using iproute, or QoS, but I have not found any examples.

Can anyone help me, please?