Re: SCSI or IDE

For what it's worth, I'm running a 3Ware 6410 card (4 port IDE RAID-5 with three 60 GB 7200 drives) on our development server, and it works flawlessly. One of the nice features is that it can support email notification of array rebuilds and drive issues/failures, so it's easy to keep on top of any changes to the drives.

Not to mention the good performance you get from ordinary IDE drives. A no-brainer to install w/ Debian, and I'll definitely be purchasing more of these for our production servers from here on out. (But this time I'll be getting the 7500 cards that support ATA-133 drives -- should be even faster)

Best Regards-
Eric

 > > > u can get hot swap ide
 > >
 > > promise do one (hot swap ide), dunno how good it is mind.
 >
 > If you are thinking on this one ->
 > http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productI
 > d=90&familyId=6
 >
 > Dont buy it! It as simple as that. 1 year ago i bought one of those
 > bastards from promise and its slooow. Im running it as filer on a
 > debian 3.0 system filesystem xfs and i havent been able to push it to
 > a sustain throughput on more than 3MB/sec. This is with 8
 > 60GB IBM deskstar
 > 7200rpm disks in raid5.
 > [...]
 > Next time i have to buy ideraid ill try 3ware for sure.

 I have one ofe those thingies running our local samba server, raid 5 w/ 3+1
 80 Gig 7200 IBM HDDs. Works flawlessly and fast. hdparm shows the following
 throughput:

  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.87 seconds =147.13 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.31 seconds = 48.85 MB/sec

 This is on a dual PIII/500 w/ 256 MB.

 Not the cheapest one, but it's actually worth it.

By "one of those thingies" you mean 3ware?