Re: transfering linux to new HDD

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:40:35AM +0200, Craig wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I have transfered a current linux install across to a new
> drive using the cp -a command. I need to now chroot the
> existing install to the new hdd and tell lilo to boot
> from there.
>
> How do I do this from a remote location ?

* ssh in
* mount the relevant new partitions as they would appear in the new
  setup
* chroot to the new root (/) filesystem
* make sure you have an entry for the old setup in the new lilo.conf
* lilo -v
* exit
* reboot

You might want to start screen before you do this (but after you ssh in ;).

That should do it. I don't think you'll get any interference from the
old lilo install. You may also want to play with the -R lilo option.

This is all from memory but you should be fine. Just keep cool.

--
        All people are equal,
        But some are more equal then others.