Re: Being new to Debian...

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:22:27 -0600, Sonny Kupka <sonny@nothnbut.net>
wrote:
>Being new to Debian distro, I was just wondering what people's thoughts
>were on running testing in a ISP environment on a main server..

Don't do this. testing is the worst choice when you have to worry
about security. Security-wise, stable is best (the security team
taking care of it). unstable is next since the package maintainer can
upload security updates. These security updates take at least three
days until they migrate to testing, leaving you vulnerable in the mean
time.

If you absolutely must have later versions of certain packages than in
stable, take the unstable package and try building them on a stable
system (effectively backporting them). Then track them yourself,
security wise.

Greetings
Marc