Re: performance of new machine + old hdd

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:02, Hereward Cooper wrote:
> I'm planning the design of a file server, with 2 x 60gb drives for files
> being servered (setup as a 24 hour delayed mirror), and a seperate
> smaller 1-2gb drive for the machine's system files.

You won't get any benefit from a 1G drive.

When you have 60G of RAID-1 storage adding an extra 1G won't solve any space
problems.

Adding extra drives of the same speed allows performance increases, putting
important data on a really slow drive can only slow the system.

> What I was wondering was, if the two 60gb drives are new high end IDE
> drives, and the machine is 1ghz duron + 256mb ram, how will the
> performance of the machine be affected by the 4-5 year old slower HDD,
> once it is up and serving across the network?

Any time the system needs to write log files (which will presumably go in the
root file system as you didn't state otherwise) the performance will really
suck because of the slow ancient drive.

Also there are reliability issues in old hard drives...