Re: future time-date stamp on emails on new sendmail box???

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 04:14:12PM +0800, Mario Zuppini wrote:
> I work for a small isp and we have just got a new mailserver up and
> operational running Debian 3.0 w/ sendmail + qpopper etc. The box is
> handling the loads fine all but for one problem, any mail that passes
> through the server, 1 out of 2 emails gets given a future time on it.

i strongly recommend switching to postfix.  it's faster, more secure,
scales to handling much higher loads without problem, and much easier to
configure and has many more features.

but that's a side-issue, not related to your clock problems...

> I can send myself an email at 10:00pm and there has been instance ill
> check mail immediately and receive it back with the time 3:20am with
> the next days date on it as well.

sounds like your system clock is wrong.  to fix:

1. find a nearby NTP time server (perhaps at one of your upstream ISPs)

2. install the ntpdate and ntp packages.  configure them to get their
   time from this nearby time-server.

3. make sure that your system's hardware clock is set to GMT (aka UTC)
   by running (as root):

     /sbin/hwclock --utc --systohc

4. make sure that UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS:

  # Set UTC to yes or no
  UTC=yes

note that in step 2 above, you are effectively creating a time server on
your network.  you should install ntp and ntpdate on all your other
machines and configure them to get the time from your local time server
- that way all of your machines will have the same (correct) time.

BTW, you can also create a DNS CNAME record "ntp.cybersol.com.au" for
your timeserver to make it easy for your customers to use your time
server to set their system clocks.  the system clocks in PC machines are
notoriously inaccurate (i.e. cheap and nasty pieces of crap), without a
time-server almost all of them will lose at least several minutes per
week.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>