Freeswan Re: VPN Tools!

Hi there,
please consider that FreeSwan is a really massive pain in the ass (imho). The configuration is kind of illogical (especially when and why "nexthop" is needed) and if you want to connect two hosts with dynamic adresses you have to restart it with all tunnels going down as a result.
In addition to that you have to tweak with your routing, if you have a non-standard setup, (for example a default gateway which is not in the same subnet as you and needs a hostroute to be reachable, though is a bad thing, I have seen it a lot of times and have no idea how to get Freeswan working with that. Perhaps that is my fault, though. The dynamic ip trouble is known to the Freeswan developers and it is worked on it afaik.)
There are other ipsec implementations for linux to my knowldge, but I had not yet my hands on them.
In addition to that the debian freeswan kernel patch package does not apply to the current kernels, use the one from freeswan.org instead!

If someone has hints for me with this trouble, let me know!

Yours,
Thomas