Re: Linux box

Riccardo Losselli wrote:
[-snip-]
My question was aimed to see if it is possible (and worth) for a small
ISP like us to implement bgp.

I'm using BGP4+ for our IPv6 Site using Zebra, works good :-)

Before doing that we will train the staff,
or use already trained tech personnel.

I would also buy the routers instead of renting it like now..

Consider debian linux boxes with the needed interfaces and Zebra routing software. I got rid of all the ciscos used @ our network and replaced it with that kind of solution.

Also i've read many things about the
need to ask to have B classes assigned, or many C classes (we're in
europe, so we will have to ask RIPE).

Hmm, thanks to CIDR RIPE should be able to assign you a AS Number

Leaving out all the problems about
the costs (i think that each class will cost, won't it?) it would be a
waste of addresses. Our actual need is no more than about 70 IPs, even a
full C net would be too much!

Explain your needs to the RIPE people. I'm sure they'll understand

Our main need is to avoid downtime and uneserray traffic between the two
nets, so i'm trying to see whats the best we can do.

BGP would be the most professional way to do it.

Do you think i
could successfully use policy based routing and DNS to have almost the
same results (i'm thinking about two nics on each server, one with an IP
of net1, the other with an IP of net2, and dns pointing normally to the
IP on net2 and switch to net1 if link2 goes down?) I know it will never be like bgp, but it still better than nothing at
all, or not?

For our IPv4 net we use a set of scripts that modifies the linux routing tables depending on load of our uplinks. Works ok.

Thanks again,
Riccardo

greets uwe
--
X-Tec GmbH
Institute for Computer and Network Security