Securing PHP-Module?

How do you restrict your virtual WWWebspaces that have PHP enabled? So
far I've found the following possible variables that could be set in a
<Directory>:

        open_basedir /virtual/example.com/htdocs
        safe_mode On
        doc_root /virtual/example.com/htdocs
        user_dir /virtual/example.com/htdocs

I was not really able to find the differences between doc_root and
user_dir yet though.

If doc_root is set and safe_mode is on, all PHP-Scripts out of this dir
are ignored?

Other suggestions?

     Balu
--
"I've heard that when you play the installation-CD of Windows NT
backwards, you get a satanic message!" -